Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Day into Night Photo - Stephen Wilkes

A couple of people were interested in a picture I took that involved both Day and Night images in one.
My original idea came from an article I read about Stephen Wilkes.  Check out the below links.  He has some amazing images.




I wasn't fully impressed with my image when compared to his work but this was my first attempt without putting a lot of time and planning into it.  It was an idea that came to me while enjoying a vacation at NASCAR.  My goal was to show day with all the fans on top of their motorhomes watching the race and also show the night life activity that goes on.

My process:
  • Setup a tripod on top of the motorhome and select my scene.
    • Ideally you would not touch the camera after this but I still wanted to use my camera to shoot the rest of the day.  I left this tripod in the same location and did not used it until I was done with the night picture but did use the quick release plate to continue to use my camera during the day
  • I used my a prime lens in order to ensure I had the same focal length in both shots.  If using a zoom I would recommend having it all the way zoomed in or out if you have any plans of touching the camera like I did
  • I took note of the Aperture I selected so I could ensure to use the same one in the evening to have matching depth of field
  • After taking both pictures I adjusted basic color and noise reduction in Lightroom then opened them both as a layer in Photoshop
  • I used Photoshop Auto-align options to align the image as there was some movement from taking my camera off the tripod to use during the day.
  • Added a Mask to the top layer and used a gradient to blend them.
  • Adjusted the cropping slightly and this is what I got

Even with doing things against the rules such as not leaving the camera on the tripod it turned out with an interesting look.



No comments:

Post a Comment